A Confucian scholar, Yamamoto served for a time as seidô bugyô (Magistrate of the Confucian Hall) in Satsuma, before being appointed to head the school then being established at the Confucian Hall. This school was later renamed "Zôshikan" in 1786. Yamamoto served in that position for many years, and then later was named monogashira yônin.
In 1802, he compiled a history of the domain entitled Shimazu kokushi.
- Ono Masako, Tomita Chinatsu, Kanna Keiko, Taguchi Megumi, "Shiryô shôkai Kishi Akimasa bunko Satsuyû kikô," Shiryôhenshûshitsu kiyô 31 (2006), 245.