In 1571, Maeda Toshiie came to Noto leading the advance guard of Oda Nobunaga's forces; he seized the castle and claimed it as his own. Toshiie submitted to the authority of Uesugi Kenshin following Kenshin's invasion of Noto in 1577 and the fall of Nanao to his forces; having declared his loyalty to Kenshin, Toshiie was left in control of the castle.
Lords of Nanao castle
- Hatakeyama Mitsuyoshi (c. 1394-1427 - ?)
- Hatakeyama Yoshimoto (? - 1514?)
- Hatakeyama Yoshifusa (1526-1545)
- Maeda Toshiie (1571-?)
- Hatakeyama Yoshinori (? - 1577)
- Yusa Tsugumitsu (c. 1577 - 1581)
- Terada Shôichi (ed.) Meijô wo aruku 2: Kanazawa-jô. Tokyo: PHP Kenkyûsho, 2002.