It was established in 1896, at the center of five sugar plantations, so as to best serve the Japanese communities on all five plantations. The original one-story temple served not only as worship space, but also as a schoolhouse and residence for the priest.
The temple remains in good condition today, supported by its congregation. There is no longer a priest in residence, but services are still held on a weekly basis with the clergyman from the Hawaii Jôdo temple.
- Gallery label for architectural model, East-West Center, Honolulu.