Ansei 4 (安政四年)
Timeline of 1857
- 1857/8/29 (Oct 16) - The shogunate signs a supplementary commercial treaty with Holland.
- 1857/9/7 (Oct 24) - The shogunate signs a supplementary commercial treaty with Russia.
- 1857/9/30 - More than twenty court nobles are sentenced to varying forms of house confinement for disrupting public morals.
- 1857/10/14 Townsend Harris arrives in Edo for the first time.
Other Events of 1857
- Aizawa Seishisai publishes his Shinron for the first time, though it was already available in a form unauthorized by the author.
- The American Legation is moved to Edo from Shimoda.
- Austrian linguist Anton Boller is the first to suggest a connection between Japanese and the Altaic language family.
- The British East India Company is abolished following the Indian Rebellion of 1857, and India comes under the direct control of the Crown.
- The French gift a piece of artillery to the Kingdom of Ryûkyû.
- The first gaslamp in the country is lit inside a stone lantern at the Shimazu clan Iso Palace in Kagoshima.
- Construction begins on the Goryôkaku in Hokkaidô.
- A Morse code message sent from the Tanshôen to Kagoshima castle 600 meters away becomes the first Morse code message sent within Japan.
- The Royal Asiatic Society is established.
- Yamaoka Tesshû and Kiyokawa Hachirô form the Torao Party.
Births and Deaths
- 1857/1/28 Hashimoto Sanehisa dies.
- 1857/5/29 Hirohata Mototoyo dies.
- 1857/6/9 (July 29) - Abe Masahiro dies.
- 1857/10/2 Wakadoshiyori Torii Tadahira dies.
- Gotô Shinpei, 3rd Chief of Home Affairs (Taiwan), is born (d. 1929).
- Sculptor Naganuma Moriyoshi is born (d. 1942).
- Shanghai painter Ren Xiong dies (b. 1823).
- Ueki Emori is born (d. 1892).