Jôkyô 4 (貞享四年)
Timeline of 1687
- 1687/1/28 Bakufu issues the first Shôrui Awaremi no Rei.
- 1687/2/21 Bakufu orders to register all house dogs in Edo.
- 1687/3/21 Emperor Reigen is succeeded by Emperor Higashiyama.
- 1687/5 Kawamura Zuiken completes construction of Yodogawa waterway.
- 1687/10/13 Tsuchiya Masanao becomes Rôjû.
Other Events of 1687
- Torii Kiyonobu comes to Edo and effectively founds the Torii school of painting and woodblock printing.
- Odawara han returned to the Ôkubo family, who lost it in 1614.
- King Narai of Ayutthaya declares war on the English East India Company.
- Ihara Saikaku's Nanshoku ôkagami ("The Great Mirror of Male Love") is published.
- Renovations are done at Izena Tamaudun.
- Shogun Tokugawa Tsunayoshi revives the daijôe custom, a private rite performed by each Emperor, in honor of his ancestors, just following his coronation.
- The shogunate places restrictions on the amount of silver exported to China via Ryûkyû.
- The first yakusha hyôbanki (actor critiques) is published.
Births and Deaths
- 1687/1/5 Asayama Shigetatsu, founder of Asayama Ichiden-ryû, dies (b. 1610).
- Ogata Sôken, father to Ogata Kôrin and Kenzan, dies.