Tenmon 23 (天文二十三年)
Timeline of 1554
- 1554/3 Hôjô Ujiyasu of Sagami province, Imagawa Yoshimoto of Suruga province and Takeda Shingen of Kai province meet at Zentoku-ji (Hôjô-Takeda-Imagawa Alliance).
- 1554/5 Battle of Oshikihata: Môri Motonari defeats Sue Harukata.
- 1554/11 Amako Haruhisa orders the execution of his uncle Amako Kunihisa, son Amako Sanehisa and a number of other members of the Shingû faction within the Amako clan.
Other Events of 1554
- Akamatsu Yoshisuke captures Akashi castle from Hosokawa Harumoto.
- Ashikaga Haruuji is defeated and captured by the Hôjô clan, marking the end of the Koga Kubô post.
- First Battle of Kawanakajima
- Hôjô clan launches an attack on the Imagawa clan.
- Igawa Mitsunobu is appointed to the Hatakeyama clan council.
- Komoro castle is built.
- Konoe Sakihisa is named Kampaku.
- Portuguese are granted licenses to trade at Guangzhou.
- The Kingdom of Ryûkyû receives a plaque from Ming China reading Shurei no kuni ("Country of Propriety").
- Ryûzôji Takanobu rises up against Shôni Tokinao, who flees to Chikugo province.
- Siege of Muraki: Rotating volley tactics using teppô (firearms) are applied for perhaps the first time in Japan.
- A temporary peace is achieved between Shiina Yasutane and Jinbo Nagamoto, via the mediation of the Hatakeyama clan of Noto province.
- Takeda Shingen seizes Fukushima castle from Kiso Yoshiyasu.
- Rebellion of Wada Michioki against Kôno Michinobu fails.
Births and Deaths
- Amako Kunihisa is killed.
- Amako Sanehisa is killed.
- Honda Yasushige is born.
- Ishikawa Yasumichi is born.
- Naitô Okimori is born.
- Ôkubo Tadatame is born.
- Okunomiya Masaie is born.
- Sakuma Morimasa is born.
- Shiba Yoshimune dies.
- Shônyo Kôkyo, founder of the Ishiyama Honganji, dies.
- Sogo Nagayasu is born.
- Suminokura Ryôi is born (d. 1614).
- Uesugi Kagetora is born.
- Wakizaka Yasuharu is born.