Chôtoku 3 (長徳三年)
Timeline of 997
- 997/3/25 A general amnesty is declared by the Court, due to the illness of Higashi-Sanjô-no-in (Fujiwara no Senshi, widow of Emperor En'yû).
- 997/4/5 Fujiwara no Korechika and Fujiwara no Takaie, included in the amnesty, are permitted to return to the capital.
- 997/4/21 Fujiwara no Takaie returns to the capital.
- 997/11/2 Dazaifu reports on a victory against the "southern barbarians."
- 997/12 Fujiwara no Korechika returns to the capital.
Other Events of 997
- "Southern barbarians" (nanban) from the Amami Islands attack Dazaifu, as well as sites within Satsuma, Higo, Hizen, Chikuzen, Iki, and Tsushima provinces, raiding and seizing both people and goods.