Kôka 5 (弘化五年) / Kaei 1 (嘉永元年)
Timeline of 1848
Other Events of 1848
- Kondô Isami begins studying the Tennen Rishin-ryû sword style.
- Sakamoto Ryôma begins studying swordsmanship for the first time.
- Shô Tai takes the throne in Ryûkyû.
- The practice of "subscription Noh" comes to an end.
- The USS Preble arrives in Naha, as part of an effort to open Japan for American commerce. They are ultimately unsuccessful; the ship's captain, a Commander Glynn, is petitioned to take missionary Bernard Bettelheim away with him, but he refuses on the grounds that Bettelheim was a British subject.
Births and Deaths
- 1848/5/20 Kondô Shûhei is born (d. 1901).
- 1848/6/1 (July 1) Mathieu Adnet, French missionary, dies in Ryûkyû, and is buried in the Tomari International Cemetery.
- 1848/11/23 Takagi Gôjirô is born (d. 1933).
- Furukawa Kôjirô is born (d. 1868]).
- Ukiyo-e artist Keisai Eisen dies (b. 1790).
- Nihonga painter Suzuki Shônen is born (d. 1918).
- Takenouchi Takeo is born (d. 1869).
- Takizawa Bakin dies (b. 1767).
- Yamauchi Toyoteru, lord of Tosa han, dies.
- Yamauchi Toyoatsu, successor of Toyoteru as lord of Tosa, dies.