Kansei 11 (寛政十一年)
Timeline of 1799
Other Events of 1799
- Asano Narikata succeeds Asano Shigeakira as daimyô of Hiroshima han.
- The Dutch East India Company goes bankrupt. It hires the Salem, Mass.-based American ship Franklin to carry VOC trade.
- A kabuki adaptation of the book Ehon Taikôki debuts.
- Eastern Ezo (Hokkaido) and the southern Kurile Islands are incorporated into shogunal territory, in response to and as a defense against Russian encroachment.
- Rangaku scholar Ôtsuki Gentaku writes Ransetsu benwaku ("Clarification of Misunderstandings in Theories of the Dutch)".
- The Russia America Company is chartered.
- Shiba Kôkan writes Seiyô gadan ("The Essay on Western Pictures").
Births and Deaths
- 1799/6/8 Artist Nagasawa Rosetsu dies (b. 1754).
- Dutch factor Gijsbert Hemmij dies on the way back from Edo, under suspicious circumstances, possibly poisoned.
- Kabuki actor Ichikawa Danjûrô VI dies (b. 1778).