Genroku 10 (元禄十年)
Timeline of 1697
- 1697/4 Tokugawa shogunate orders various daimyo to produce maps of the provinces, along with registers of towns.
Other Events of 1697
- Dôjima Rice Exchange in Osaka is established.
- English East India Company trading house in Vietnam is closed.
- Fuwa Kazuemon is dismissed from Asano Naganori's service and becomes a ronin.
- Following his father's death, Gion Nankai moves to Wakayama, his family's home province, after being born and raised in Edo.
- Rekidai Hôan, a collection of official diplomatic documents of the Kingdom of Ryûkyû, is first compiled.
- Sai Taku begins his compilation of the Chûzan seifu (completed 1701).
- Shibaraku debuts at the Nakamura-za in Edo, starring Ichikawa Danjûrô I.
- Restrictions on the planting of sugar cane and turmeric are put into place in Ryûkyû.
- Tokugawa Tsunayoshi has the tombs of a number of historical emperors repaired.
Births and Deaths
- Kaitokudô head Goi Ranshû is born (d. 1762).
- Liang Shizheng is born (d. 1763).
- Kokugaku thinker Kamo no Mabuchi is born (d. 1769).
- Artist Sakaki Hyakusen is born (d. 1752).