Kan'ei 19 (寛永十九年)
Timeline of 1642
- 1642/5/9 Sankin kôtai obligations, previously required only of tozama daimyô, are extended to all daimyô.
Other Events of 1642
- A "Chônin Code" is issued in Kaga han.
- The English Civil War begins (ends 1646).
- The shogunate assigns Kanô Tan'yû and his atelier to repaint the Seiryôden of the Kyoto Imperial Palace.
- The shogunate bans onnagata from the kabuki stage.
- The shogunate assigns Saga han to share the responsibility for defending Nagasaki harbor with Fukuoka han. Matsudaira Tadaaki of Himeji han is assigned to the post that will later be called Nagasaki tandai shoku, working with the Nagasaki bugyô to coordinate the harbor defense.
- The Yamamura-za opens as the third licensed kabuki theater in Edo.
Births and Deaths
- Ihara Saikaku is born (d. 1693).
- Kinoshita Nobutoshi dies (b. 1577).
- Nakayama Nobuyoshi dies (b. 1576).
- Tachibana Muneshige dies (b. 1567).