Genna 2 (元和二年)
Timeline of 1616
- 1616/3/27 Tokugawa Ieyasu receives the title Dajo Daijin 太政大臣 from the imperial court.
- 1616/5/8 Bakufu sets Shimoda Bugyo in Shimoda.
- 1616/6/15 Shô Nei names Shô Kyô, son of Prince Sashiki Chôshô, to be his heir.
- 1616/9 Sakazaki Naomori of Tsuwano han fails to kidnap Princess Sen and commits suicide.
- 1616/7/5 Matsudaira Tadateru exiled to Ise province.
- 1616/8/8 Bakufu limits trade port to Nagasaki and Hirado.
Other Events of 1616
- Nurhachi declares the beginning of the Later Jin Dynasty, which will later be renamed the Qing Dynasty.
- First Thai embassy to Japan arrives.
- Ri Sampei discovers a source of kaolin-rich clay in Arita han.
- Shogunate outlaws the buying and selling of people.
- A Spanish ship becomes shipwrecked at Shimizu Harbor in Tosa province.
Births and deaths
- 1616/4/17 Tokugawa Ieyasu dies.
- Kanô Naizen dies (b. 1570).
- Tang Xianzu, author of The Peony Pavilion, dies (b. 1550).