Keichô 8 (慶長八年)
Timeline of 1603
- 1603/2/12 Tokugawa Ieyasu is formally named Shôgun by Emperor Go-Yôzei, marking the beginning of the Tokugawa shogunate(Edo bakufu).
- 1603/2 Ieyasu begins assigning residential land in Edo to daimyo.
- 1603/3/3 The shogunate authorizes construction of Nihonbashi.
- 1603/3/21 Construction of Nijô castle completed, Ieyasu moves in.
- 1603/4 Izumo no Okuni starts Kabuki in Kyoto.
- 1603/7/28 Princess Sen marries Toyotomi Hideyori.
- 1603/12 A Red seal ship sails to Vietnam from Nagasaki.
Other Events of 1603
- Members of the Dominican Order arrive in Japan for the first time.
- Formal relations are established between the shogunate and Cambodia.
- Suminokura Ryôi and his son Soan make their first annual trip to Tonkin.
- Taichû shônin comes to Ryûkyû (returns to Japan in 1605).
Births and Deaths